Thursday, December 20, 2007

I am alive!

I am alive! I wanted to name this post that because this week has been very challenging and finally it is basically over. We went into the schools to deliver gifts to children. I actually find it kind of amusing because I felt like Santa Clause. I don't understand it because I am totally against leading people to believe in him. However, we just went in with bags and bags of toys. I mean it was fun, even if I was not able to persuade any adults or kids that I was not one of Santa's helpers. It was funny, but I think that what really sticks out to me are how some of the kids treated us. I can still see little faces and brief moments where the Lord Himself repaid us for our work.

For example, at the last school there was one little boy that stuck out to me. He was wearing a t-shirt that said, "My grandparents don't spoil me, they are just very accommodating." This little boy, in particular, ended up shaking my hand as his way of saying thanks - without anyone telling him to do it. He could not have been older that 4 years old.

Another example of being repaid by the Lord for this kind of work happened yesterday. We where actually delivering toys and food to a family in Newark who lost everything when their house burnt down. After we had dropped everything off and where all in the van ready to go, one of the little boys shouted out from the door post, with a big smile, "Thank you!"

I think what makes moments like these great are that no one forced them to show their gratefulness. They where just genuinely grateful, and it showed, which is how I think that we are supposed to be toward the Lord.

Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, [and] into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, [and] bless his name. Psalms 100:4

Well the schools are over, but the Christmas season is not. Tomorrow I am planning to go over to World Impact with Tilly's Teens. However this will be in the evening which will give me the first morning off since last Friday. I am glad about that as there are a couple of things that I need to take care of.

Saturday will be our neighborhood Christmas Luncheon. That should be a little hectic, but since it is an isolated day it should not be very difficult.

Sunday will be the "Christmas Day Sunday". Then Monday Christmas Eve and Tuesday Christmas Day. Christmas is here if you ask me. Do I need to get any presents for anyone? If I do, I do not have a lot of time left.

Christmas Day I am planing on going ice skating with a handful of friends. That should be a good day. Then of course New Years Eve will have arrived and I will be off to Southern California for two weeks. Hum, it looks like life should be pretty interesting for awhile. Now I just wonder what I will do when I will get back from California. What adventures await me as I seek to fulfill God's perfect will and plan for my life??? Only time shall tell...

No comments: