Monday, May 05, 2008

Aloha from the Island of Oahu!

So this is Hawaii... I just wanted to write something real quick while I am here in Hawaii and have the chance, it looks like a very beautiful and tropical state. How James Cook ever found this place out here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean beats me. Even more of a mystery, is how Hawaii ever became part of the United States. Don't get me wrong, there are just huge cultural differences here, more then any other state I have been to in the United States. Actually, the Hawaiian' environment seems to closely resemble southern California, with the differences of: Hawaii being islands, mountains with volcanic activity and the tropical atmosphere. Despite all this, Hawaii is still as modern as can be. I am using my laptop to write this post and am hooked up (with out wires) to the Internet.

Last night we visited Calvary Chapel Pearl Harbor, and although they don't speak in tongues, the message is the same: Jesus Christ, God's Son, died on a cross and rose from the dead to give mankind salvation.

The sermon that the pastor gave while we where there had to do with certain chapters in Ezekiel and how they relate to modern day Israel. After service, I was able to check out how their sound and media system was set up. When visiting other churches, I like to made it a point (if I am able to) to check out how they have their sound/media systems set up. Since I am still learning how it all works, I love to see how and what other churches are doing in these ministries. One unique media set up that this particular church had is video streaming. I am well aware that this technology is out there, but I have never seen how it is actually done. There are just so many possibilities!

Anyway, Sarah and I got into Honolulu yesterday at about 3pm Hawaiian time. It was a nine hour flight from Chicago, which was our one and only connecting flight from New Jersey. I was given a camcorder before the trip and will see if I can make a few good Hawaiian YouTube videos with it.

I feel like I am in a foreign country because of all the new animals and plants that I have seen so far here. Even yesterday when where driving to Calvary Chapel, I saw a pair of birds that reminded me of Sparrows: They where mostly all brown with a few flairs of white. Also, as we where driving to church I saw some huge trees, but the tops/heads seemed to be almost pruned perfectly flat like a shrub. I was amazed and delighted to see those two beautiful creations of God.

Alright, this post should be sufficient for now, but I will see if I can blog a little bit more later, while I am actually still here in Hawaii.

God bless!

1 comment:

GodsSunflower said...
This comment has been removed by the author.