Monday, October 06, 2008

A Newark Police Chase and Way to Stop Them

I just heard tires squealing outside and figured it was a stolen car running away from the police; I kind of cringed a little hoping he would not crash into our building or something.

Even as I started this post, I heard police sirens going to chase him and I had to take a break to peek out the window. I don't know why, but I just love a good police chase; another thing I don't know is what this guy did, but there had about ten Newark police cars chasing him.

Just after I took a peek out the window, I heard Sarah going out the door to go to work; I then figured I would walk her out since I am up. When she drove off, and as I was about to go in, I saw the car they where chasing; a gold four door Ford Torus with black tinted windows. It came from the north on 12th St. onto Springfield Ave. and went east. There is a street that veers to the right, slightly east of here, on Springfield Ave. and as the police where in hot pursuit, they swung right onto the street. The stolen cars do it every time the police are chasing them because it is such an easy turn to make; they do it like clock work. Now if only the city could put up automatic spike strips on that street and activate them the moment before the pursued went over, the city and police could probably catch a good amount of these car thieves (or whatever they are: murderers, bank robbers, drug dealers, etc.) this way.

Here is another idea to build on the above idea. Somehow give the police officers (in the car pursuing) the ability to activate the strips. Make it a lightening fast process too, so that the spikes jump up in a split second and deactivate almost just as quickly when the car (being pursued) goes over.

If the above can be done without causing the car being pursed to automatically lose control, they will be forced to come to a stop and therefor be apprehended.

This idea could be implemented in all troubled cities. All that would need to be done is a study of where the most common streets that those, who are being pursued, take. Build these strips in the ground and train officers to trick the pursued into taking these streets. Even better yet, put the strips on main streets too. At night there is not a lot of traffic on most streets anyway and a quick flash of the strips, while the car being pursued goes over, would create an advantage for the police that has never been seen since the beginning of police chase history.

No comments: