Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Life, July 2008

Okay, so I guess I just wanted to write a little bit about myself and my life at the moment. July has been almost insane here at the House of Mercy Mission. Tomorrow, I am driving a group of Tilly's Kids up to Lake Hopatcong State Park. When we get there, we will meet up with a group of volunteer teenagers from a non-profit organization based out of Sparta, NJ, called Pass-it-Along. Everyone involved is guaranteed to have a great day.

Today, I drove a group of Tilly's Kids up to Sparta for swimming lessons at: http://www.swimfitnesscenter.com

The owner has generously offered (for free) to teach Tilly's Kids how to swim, one day a week (on Tuesdays) this July and maybe a couple days in August.

So, in July, Tuesdays are swimming lessons and Wednesdays are Lake Hopatcong, for Tilly's Kids. Thursdays and Fridays in July, for Tilly's Kids, are at our churches' "retreat-house" (for lack of a better word) in Byram, NJ, where we have an above ground swimming pool and plenty more for the kids to do.

Wow, now that I think about it, this 2008 summer for Tilly's Kids has been geared toward teaching them how to swim. It is funny because before I came to Newark in 2002, I thought the whole world knew how to swim. I was shocked to discover that many adults in this city of Newark, don't know how to swim. I also was surprised to meet several Kenyan adults here too, that didn't know how to swim (but that is another story, for another day).

To me, swimming is such a pleasure that every human being should be given the privilege to learn. Seeing and personally teaching and helping some of Tilly's Kids learn how to swim has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I remember how last year there was a group of Tilly's Kids that knew how to swim, but had no experience jumping off diving boards or swimming in the "deep end". So what I did to help them get over their fears (and make sure they where safe) was have them jump off the diving board, into the water, but catching my hand. Soon after they did that successfully and unafraid, they started jumping off the board and swimming in the deep end with out any help. It was real cool and rewarding seeing this, as at first, they where all afraid. There is something about helping a child overcome their fears, that is so rewarding. I can't explain it, it must be experienced first hand.

Besides all the swimming Tilly's kids has been doing this July, we had a group of missionaries staying with us last week. They where from Touch the World, and their main priority was to do our VBS (Vacation Bible School) for Tilly's Kids. It was definitely cool having this group here, but I almost had a melt down, due to stress, several times last week (just kidding, but last week was very busy and intense with everything going on). I am definitely not complaining, but explaining how busy things have been here at the House of Mercy Mission. I think that I even wrote in a prior post that this July would be very busy.

Anyway, I am cool now though (compared to last week). I am confident that my steps are ordered of the Lord (Psalm 37:23) and that He will lead me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake (Psalm 23:3).

Should I start preaching?

The future, what a beautiful sight! It is like I don't quite know what it holds, but I know it is great and beautiful, and I can almost taste it. It is is like the sweet taste of a freshly picked, crisp apple. I am not to sure if I have ever heard anyone describe the future as an apple, but those are the words that are coming to me. The future just looks so great!

Let me put in a link now of a post that wrote in May of this year, entitled: " The Future is so Bright, My Heart is Skipping Beats". When I posted that article, I could see what I am seeing now: a very bright, bright future. I used to have a friend and she once said that one of her favorite bible verses was Proverbs 4:18.

This verse sums up exactly where I am and what I am seeing in the spiritual world:

But the path of the just [is] as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day. - Proverbs 4:18 -

I have to ask myself, is it true? With all of my failures, can I really have such joy and happiness? The answer is yes, and the great part about it all is that no one can take it away from me. It is impossible to lose this joy the Lord has given me.

No comments: